Hello dear readers of my blog. Today we’ll talk about one very simple manipulation, thanks to which you can create pretty pretty objects. It's great when just one function is enough to do something complete, unique and useful. This is exactly the case.
Today I will tell you how to combine two pictures in Photoshop. You will receive not only step-by-step instructions, but you will also be able in the future, thanks to this article, to process the edges of the image: to select the border outline, as well as create smooth transitions. All this will add grace to your work and allow it to look profitable on the wall if you want to print a collage.
Such portraits can even be sold if you have a share of ambition, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a subscription to my blog. I often talk about simple ways to promote my business on the Internet, you just have to choose the right tips and use them.
Well, now let's go directly to working on photographs. How to combine them?
Merge the photo together
For work, I downloaded 2 photos from a free image bank. You can have some pictures, it is not so important. Save them in a folder, open Photoshop and get ready for further actions.
There are several ways to add an image to a program. For example, the item “File” - “Open” in the top menu. I love a different method, which is ideal for creating a collage. Just drag and drop one image into the working field of the program from the folder, and then another.
In general, this method is considered “correct” for this work. In the article how to reduce photos while maintaining quality, I talked about why. If you add a picture in the usual way, then several manipulations with the size can cause the pixels in the photo to break and the quality will suffer. If you paste a picture from a folder, Photoshop perceives it as a smart object and prevents pixel breakage.
If you drag and drop several pictures at once, they open in neighboring windows. If you first add one to the working field, and then the second or third and so on, then they are superimposed on the original image.
It will not be difficult to reduce, enlarge or drag a new photo. All this is done with the mouse. The only thing I can reveal a few useful secrets. If you hold Shift and then start manipulating the cursor, the proportions will be preserved. The picture will not be “stretched” horizontally or vertically.
Another useful keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + T. If, for example, you have already worked on an image and pressed enter to apply formatting, and then again wanted to change the size of the image or its location, then these hot buttons will help you call the same function again.
Are you generally well versed in the term “new layer”? If there is not enough knowledge, I recommend reading the publication on my blog, in which I thoroughly talk about this feature of Photoshop. There will be no white spots in knowledge.
Now I will recall only the main points. Do not forget that clicking on one of the layers activates it, you can work with the selected one, and the remaining ones will remain untouched. However, if you now want to do this, many functions will be closed to you. What is the reason?
The top layer (under the number "2") is not rasterized, and the second ("Background") is closed from editing. Click on the lock on the right to unlock the bottom options.
With what I called "2" I have to do otherwise. Right-click, and then select the “Rasterize Layer” function in the menu that appears.
That’s it, now you have access to all the functions of Photoshop and you can use them in both photos.
This blog already has detailed instructions for creating a stroke, in it you can learn how to work with complex paths. Now, I think, we will need a simple version of the frame for the image.
To do this, click on the Fx function in the right menu and select "Stroke" in the window that appears. Do not forget that it will be applied to the layer that you clicked on, and it subsequently highlighted. In this case, "2".
Understanding the settings is easy. The size determines the width of the frame, you can choose the position (from the center, outside or inside the picture), make the shade more or less saturated - the “Opacity” parameter is responsible for this, and, in fact, the color itself, which can be replaced with a gradient or pattern if desired in the "Type" menu.
Play with these settings yourself. Do not forget to enable the "View", for this, put the appropriate checkmark under the "New Style" buttons on the right.
I’ll apply a stroke to both pictures next to each other.
Connect two images
In this example, I decided to combine the photos before and after. You just don’t tell me that these people are not alike. These are two different people). In general, open two photos in photoshop, and then in order. I took photos of two people: thin and embossed.
- First, let's make the images the same height. To do this, being on each photo separately, go to the "Image" - "Image Size" menu. Look at the number of pixels in height. It turned out that the skinny has 680 pixels, and the pumped one has 1329.
- In this case, it is better to reduce the size of the uploaded image to 680 pixels in height, in order to equalize them and not lose in quality. Do you know how to do this? If not, then look at my article about resizing an image (though everything should be clear anyway). And by the way, remember the horizontal image size of the pitching. I got 487.
- Now go to the skinny photo and go again to the “Image” menu, only this time choose “Canvas Size”. Here we simply increase the working area without enlarging the photo itself. So the size of the thin horizontal picture is 453 pixels. We add mentally 487 pixels (the horizontal size of the pitching pictures) and get 940. It is this number that we write in the cell width. We do not change the height and leave 680.
- Now we need to choose which side these new additional 487 pixels will appear horizontally. If we leave it as it is, the canvas will increase in both directions by 243 and 244 pixels (487/2). But we want to do "Before and After", which means that the thin girl should be on the left, therefore an empty piece of canvas on the right. Then in the arrangement, click on the left arrow, so that the center has shifted to the left. You can also choose a background color, but in our case this is not necessary, any one will do, since we will close it anyway. Then click OK.
- See? Now we have a huge piece of white background. Now go to the photo of the inflated one, take the “Move” tool, hold down the left mouse button on the photo and drag it to the tab with the thinner photo.
- Case for small. It remains to move the photo directly to a white background. We accurately calculated the width and adjusted the height, so that everything should stand up straight.
Here is such a simple and easy way to combine two images).
Merge with a smooth transition
There is another interesting effect when the transition from one photo to another is smooth. Let me do this with two animals: a lion and a saiga.
- Open the image of a lion and saiga in our editor, but on different tabs.
- Go to the lion layer and select the quick mask mode.
- Now select the Gradient tool and make sure that the transition is from black to white. And now with this gradient draw a line around the middle, as shown in my picture.
- You have part of the image with a lion should be painted in a red tint. Fine. This is what we need. Now look at the Layers panel and at our active Lion layer. Is he basic? Those. is there a lock on it? If so, then left-click on it to make it disappear, otherwise we just won’t be able to edit this layer.
- Now remove the quick mask mode by clicking on its icon again. You will have to highlight a part of the image with a dashed line. After that, press the key DELETE and make sure the content is “Content Based,” then click OK. You should remove the right side of the image, and with a smooth transparent transition. Just deselect (just click once with any selection tool, such as a rectangular area).
- Now go to the tab with the saiga (damn, still funny animal and name). It is advisable to compare the height (in pixels) of these two images, as in the previous example. Now we take the tool "Moving" and dragging the poor saiga straight to the lion.
- And now the trick (just kidding, of course this is not the trick). Clamp the saiga layer on the layer panel (poor animal, again we hold it) with the left mouse button, and then drag it down so that it is below the lion.
- See what happened? The king of beasts and the antelope are combined into a single photo. Cool! You can move the antelope a bit using Move. We look. The smooth transition was a success. In my opinion, it turned out quite well. Nice and relaxed.
Well, in general, somehow.
Of course this is Photoshop. And there are still many ways to combine several photos into one. But I think that for a start these methods will be quite enough for you. Moreover, in the latter version, we not just tied 2 photos into one, but made a simple collage, i.e. We use several different images in one.
By the way, if you want to make amazing collages, then I highly recommend you to watch an excellent course on this topic. Thoroughly reviewed many examples. From a few simple images you will learn how to make simply masterpieces, so go ahead!
Well, I say goodbye to you today. I was glad to see you on my blog and I hope you enjoyed it. Do not forget to subscribe to my blog updates and share with friends on social networks. Well, I wish you good luck. Bye Bye!
- If in two photos the image coincides by 25%, then they can be combined in a panorama. Open Adobe Photoshop. To merge into a panorama, upload the necessary photos using the Photomerge tool, it is located in the Automate section of the File menu. Photomerge tool in the Automate section of the File menu
The program will automatically select the appropriate location of the images, after the operation, you can manually adjust their location.
Using the left mouse button, drag one of the photos into the window with the second. As a result, you get one image with two layers. If the images were different in size, then double-click to remove the lock from the background image. Open the Edit menu, select the Scale tool from the Transform section Scale tool from Transform section
and set the desired size.
In order for one image to merge with another, you need to do something different. Now I will show an easy way for beginners.
First, I’ll select a rectangular selection, you can read all about tools for selecting complex objects in a previous publication. Then I select the borders of the picture that will be blurred, and then the “Selection and mask” parameter.
To make the result more visible, select the "On Layers" view.
There are also a lot of settings here, but for now we only need the “Feather” and, possibly, “Move the edge”. Pull the sliders, and then click Invert.
Now, so that everything works out in the best possible way, select the "Selection" item in the top menu, and then "Invert". You can simply use the keyboard shortcut Shift + Ctrl + I.
Done, press the Del button on your keyboard. If you hadn’t applied the “Invert” parameter, now you wouldn’t have deleted the edges of your picture, but everything that’s in the center.
You can do something different than in the previous example. First select the layer (now I work with the background), then circle the image with a rectangular selection, then apply inversion, and at the end open the “Selection and Mask” function.
Done. This is how the photo now looks. You forget to press Del. By the way, to get rid of excretory ants on the border of the picture, use the combination Ctrl + D.
The drawing we have turned translucent. Read it if you want more details about the PNG format and methods of working with it. I suggest you create a new layer as a background. Next to the Trash can icon in the menu on the right, you will find a button for creating a new layer. Then drag it under the background image.
Choose a suitable color and fill tool and apply it to the picture. By the way, I think that now you may need an article on how to create a beautiful black background for an image. This publication has many interesting simple ways and methods of creating manually.
That's basically it.
Step 1: select the command “Upload files to the stack”
First you need to open the images. By default, Photoshop opens images in a separate document. But we need to put two images in one document.
Therefore, go to the File menu, select the item "Scripts", "Upload files to the stack":
Path: File> Scripts> Load Files Into Stack.
Step 2: select images
In the dialog box “Download layers”, select “Apply to files” and then click on the “Browse” button:
The dialog box "Load Layers" (Load Layers).
Specify the photos that we want to open. Next, click on the “Open” button.
Select images and click "Open" (Open).
Step 3: upload images to Photoshop
Go back to the "Load Layers" dialog box.
The two options below “Attempt to automatically align the source image” and “Create a smart object after loading layers” are left unchecked. Then load the images into Photoshop by clicking on the OK button:
Click “OK” to upload images to Photoshop.
Photoshop loads both images into one document. In the layer panel, each image is located on a separate layer. The file names are used in the name of the layers:
The Layers panel shows each image on a separate layer.
View two images
Image located on the top layer (photo of mom and daughter from Adobe Stock Photo Bank):
The first of two images.
Turn off the visibility of the upper layer by clicking on the eye icon:
Hide the image of the top layer.
After that, we will see the image located on the bottom layer (photo of a football player from the Adobe Stock photo bank):
Turn on the visibility of the top layer:
Turn on the visibility of the top layer.
Step 4: Use the Move Tool
Now two images are in one document. But how to place them next to each other?
One way is to increase the size of the document’s workspace using the “Canvas Size” command and drag one of the images to a new space. But you can do both operations at the same time. To do this, use the "Move" tool:
Select the Move Tool.
Step 5: Verify that Snap and Snap To Document Bounds are active
To use this method, you need to snap the image to the edges of the document. To do this, you need to activate several parameters.
Go to the "View" menu and check if the "Binding" option is active:
We check the activity of the Snap option.
Below we enable the “Snap to” parameter and check the activity of the “Document Borders” option:
Make sure the option “Snap to document borders” is active.
Step 7: drag the image to the edge of another image
Using the Move tool, drag the image in the document left or right relative to the image below it. While dragging, press and hold the Shift key to limit the direction in which you can move.
Drag the top image to the right of the bottom image.
Snap an image to the edge of a document
As soon as you get close enough to the edge of the document, your image will sharply be drawn to the edge. Верхнее изображение сейчас скрыто, так как оно находится с края холста:
Верхнее изображение скрыто за краем холста.
Шаг 8: выбираем опцию «Показать все»
Чтобы активировать видимость обоих изображений, в меню « Изображение » выбираем опцию « Показать все ».
Идем в меню «Изображение» (Image) > «Показать все» (Reveal All).
При этом Photoshop изменяет размер холста, чтобы разместить два изображения:
Результат после использования опции «Показать все» (Reveal All).
Шаг 2: Выделяем весь холст
Мы не собираемся использовать сам инструмент «Перемещение». Необходимо, чтобы он был активен. Так мы получаем доступ к опциям выравнивания. We will swap the images by aligning their edges with the edges of the canvas. To do this, select the entire canvas. In the "Selection" menu, select the "All". After that, a selection outline will appear at the edges of the document:
Go to "Select"> "All" (All).
Step 4: Click on the “Align Left” or “Align Right” icon
After that, in the options panel, click on the icon "Align left" or "Align right."
I need to move the image from right to left, so I click on the “Align Left” icon:
Click on the “Align Left Edges” icon.
After that, Photoshop will align the left edge of the image with the left edge of the canvas:
The result after moving the top image from right to left.
Step 6: Click on the “Align Edges” icon
To move the lower image to the right, I click on the “Align Right” icon:
Click on the “Align Right Edges” icon.
After that, Photoshop aligns the right edge of the image with the right edge of the canvas. To deselect a canvas, in the "Selection" menu, select the "Deselect" item:
Result after moving the bottom image from left to right.
We learned how to load two images into one Photoshop document, place images side by side and swap them!
This publication is a translation of the article "Photoshop Quick Tip: How to Place Two Images Side by Side", prepared by the friendly team of the Internet technology project
If you still have questions, you can watch a video on how to combine two pictures side by side.
Well, this tutorial is for you if you want to take a photo with a smooth transition. There are settings in this video that I didn’t talk about in the text of this article, so don’t pass by.
Well, I can only recall that if you want to know more about the tools that are in Photoshop, then the course will help you with this. «Photoshop from scratch in video format». A lot of detailed information for a novice user, especially if in the future you are thinking about making money on your skill.
Well, for those who want to achieve maximum results in their hobby - a course «Magic collage». An incredibly useful thing, in which more attention is paid to the artistic component of the work: light, shadows, and so on, as well as the maximum professional secrets of drawing processing.
That’s all for me. Do not forget to subscribe to Start-Lak group VKontakteso as not to miss something useful. Until we meet again and good luck.