Smell from a ferret.
Sooner or later, the owners of ferrets (and not only. This applies to any animals) are faced with the problem of smell. These odors can be divided into 4 types
- The smell of the toilet
- The smell from the animal itself
- The smell is seasonal
- Other odors
The main smell that bothers the owners is the ODOR OF THE TOILET.
It’s no secret to any ferret owners that their pets have a tray problem. Let us leave aside the recommendations on accustoming to the place of the toilet and dwell on the consequences.
Despite the fact that the excrement of ferrets smells much less cat-dog, the smell of urine is still very, very noticeable. Complications in the absorption of odors are also caused by the natural characteristics of animals, which often do not allow the owners to use the filler (opening the tray, eating and scattering the filler).
Therefore, the basic rule of all animal owners: daily (!) Washing and processing of toilets. Please note that in this case it is not only a tray), but all the places that your pet has chosen for these needs.
The most effective way to eliminate odor from surfaces is to add it to water:
- potassium permanganate (also has a deodorizing effect, used in urology),
- vinegar (required in aqueous solutions),
- lemon juice
- hydrogen peroxide,
- iodine (solution per 1 liter of water 10-20 drops of iodine)
After washing, rinse the tray with aromatic water containing two tablespoons of food vinegar, 3 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 drops of rosemary essential oil.
The most undesirable way is to use chlorine-based products. Of course, chlorine perfectly kills microorganisms and is a powerful oxidizing agent, but its use can harm the delicate sense of smell of the animal.
ODOR FROM THE MOST ANIMAL.
The ferret's fur has a specific smell, which is successfully stopped by animal hygiene and cleaning of its places of residence.
Washing with shampoo should be no more than 1 time in 2-3 weeks.
In the intervals between washing, swimming is not forbidden) If the smell of fur resumes quickly / For example, in racing males / use dry shampoos or sprays.
Successfully can be a "dry bathing" - for this the animal needs to put a box of hay, digging in which, the ferret will clean his skin.
Wash the hammock, litter and other personal belongings of the ferret, it is necessary as it gets dirty, but at least 1 time in 2 weeks.
Seasonal odors include:
- the smell of racing animals,
- the smell of a female with a nest,
- smell of puppy / puppies
If your ferret is not castrated, then from December to August you will have a "fun" pastime. If we exclude from it the aggressiveness of the pet, not the usual behavior, anxiety, etc. that which does not deliver tangible consequences will remain - the smell. During this period, the ferret smells stronger from the skin, the hair constantly looks dirty, and due to excessive secretion by the glands, it can also thin out, it marks the territory (and the territory is ALL around), its behavior changes, it can begin to “smear »Past the tray.
You can reduce odor only by observing the rules of hygiene.
The first thing to do is to start cleaning the floor every day / if the animal is walking around the house /. The smell will remain, but will no longer be so harsh. For cleaning, prepare a mixture of 4 drops of geranium essential oil, 4 drops of rosemary essential oil, 4 drops of lavender essential oil and 1 tablespoon of alcohol. Add all this to 3 liters of water and wash the floor as usual.
The second is to limit the area for walking. The ferret will be completely satisfied with walking in one, for example, a common room (all the more so since his walks are mostly connected with the desire to mark everything), rather than running around the apartment, spreading aroma.
Third - wash, wash, and process all the things that the ferret uses. Eliminate difficult-to-wash items for tags, such as extension cords, routers, home appliances.
You can also use the products of the above "Organics" to destroy the smell of tags. http://organics.com.ua/dlya-domashnikh-zhivotnykh.html
The female’s nest with newborn ferrets has a strong astringent smell. If you decide to become a breeder, this must be taken into account. Growing up, puppies begin to occupy your apartment, and if one 1.5 - 2-month-old ferret does not smell, then 10 ferret puppies in your house cannot but affect the composition of the air in it. To help only hygiene and patience. ) It is also not recommended to keep a female with puppies in those rooms to which you sleep, cook and consume food.
paraanal glands - DO NOT REMOVE! / unless there is no medical evidence.
The smell disappears very quickly. Ventilate the room, wash the ferrets
Naturally, in different animals the smell intensity, as well as its persistence, will be different. Only accept this.
Check hard-to-reach places more often, treat the surface with any detergents.
And finally, general recommendations.
- Ventilate the rooms more often. Through ventilation 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes.
- If possible, install an ozonizer in the apartment. It not only eliminates unpleasant odors, but also disinfects the air.
And use spray fresheners as little as possible.
Do ferrets smell?
The ferret is a predatory animal and, of course, do not mind eating fresh chicken. Here are just such behavior for the beast rather an exception to the rule. The ferret is quite cautious and, although it often settles near human habitation, it can only venture outright robbery in exceptional cases, for example, in connection with a long non-feeding. In addition, a very frightened animal easily throws an inhabited hole and moves to a quieter place, not to mention the hunting place, where there is danger in the form of a man and dogs.
Now about the "stench." Ferrets really have two paraanal glands, the secret of which has a sharp and extremely unpleasant aroma. But these glands have nothing to do with hunting.
These glands are a kind of last chance, a gift of nature, and their ferret uses them only in case of extreme stress, cornered or overtaken by a predator. The disgusting amber for a while confuses the pursuer, giving the victim the opportunity to slip away, taking advantage of the moment.
Own smell of a ferret in nature is not stronger than from a forest wolf or from a cow in a stall. The predator should not smell too much, notifying the prey about its presence in advance. On the other hand, a ferret is a small predator that has enough natural enemies (foxes, wolves, owls). Giving them their location with excessive aroma is also not worth it. In nature, everything is reasonable.
Causes of Odor
Domestic ferrets have two types of glands, which are sources of odor:
- Paraanal glands are a paired organ that is located near the anus. It performs a protective function: if the animal is very scared, it releases a caustic secret, which should scare away the enemy.
- Sebaceous glands. Their function is to protect the skin of the animal from aggressive environmental factors, however, when they are strongly functioning from the pet, an unpleasant odor is emitted. It is the presence of sebaceous glands in the ferret that is usually the main and often the only reason why the ferret stinks.
If the pet is healthy, then it smells no more than other animals and if the animal is too smelly, then the owners are to blame, since they incorrectly take care of the ferret.
The causes of odor include the following:
- Rutting period. To attract the opposite sex, the sebaceous glands begin to produce a special secret. Both females and males smell, but male ferrets are stronger. If the owners are going to breed animals, then for a while you can eliminate the smell by finding your pets a sexual partner. When the owners do not plan to mate, the only thing that can be done to eliminate the smell is to remove the testes from the male, and the uterus and ovaries from the female.
- Wrong diet. Not all food from a human table is suitable for a pet, and feeds are of poor quality. If you feed the animal incorrectly, it will become ill. One of the earliest signs of metabolic disorders in chorea is the appearance of a strong and unpleasant odor from the coat. In addition, the feces and urine of the animal begin to smell strongly.
- Non-compliance with hygiene. So that the animal does not smell, it is necessary to bathe regularly, as well as clean the room where he lives.
- Diseases The function of the sebaceous glands in the animal directly depends on the normal functioning of its internal organs. Especially the smell appears from the ferret, if he has problems with the stomach, intestines, adrenal glands. If you suspect the presence of pathologies, do not delay the visit to a specialist.
- Fear or overexcitation. They provoke the secretion by the paraanal glands of a special secret with a pungent odor, but it quickly disappears. It is observed infrequently, therefore it is recommended to come to terms with this.
How to get rid of a pet smell
How to get rid of the smell of a ferret?
If it was caused by rutting and estrus, while the owners are not going to knit animals, they should be neutered and sterilized.
Since males become aggressive during the rut, they mark the territory, their fur smells unpleasant. In the female during estrus, everything is observed, the same thing, but not so pronounced. There is a smell from ferrets in the apartment. Until mating occurs, all this does not stop. At the same time, there is a strong depletion of the animal's body, which can cause its death. Therefore, the animal is recommended to be castrated or sterilized. These surgical interventions are simple, do not provoke complications and after 7 days the animal will recover. Males should be operated when they are 6-8 months old, and females at 7. After that, the animal gets rid of the habit of marking the territory and almost does not smell.
Some experts suggest that in parallel with castration, the removal of the paranal glands is performed. In fact, this is not necessary, since the castrated animal becomes calmer and ceases to use its natural protective mechanism. Moreover, such surgical intervention can provoke a number of complications.
It is recommended to do such an operation if the following pathologies are observed:
- frequent inflammation of the anal sacs, provoked by pathogenic microflora,
- increased secretion, which becomes the reason for its involuntary release,
- neoplasms or injuries.
If these glands are removed in a healthy pet, then the opposite effect can often be observed. The animal loses its natural defense and the sebaceous glands begin to perform the function of scaring away the potential enemy, and the animal will smell all the time.
How to get rid of the smell of a ferret:
- In the diet of the animal there should not be a lot of plant foods, sweets and feed containing artificial additives. When the diet doesn’t suit the animal, its fur dulls, indigestion is observed and the stool starts to smell strongly. To prevent the ferret from stinking, feed him less seafood.
- The berth should be regularly washed in hot water with the use of conventional non-flavored products, and ironed.
- Do not bathe the animal more than 2 to 3 times a month. Otherwise, its sebaceous glands will begin to function more strongly. The animal needs to be washed with ferret shampoo.
- The room where the animal lives needs to be washed more often.
- As far as possible, eliminate all irritants that can scare the animal.
- Every 14 days, clean the ferret's ears with a special swab. When the animal smells badly from the mouth, consult a veterinarian.
- If the pet spends a lot of time in the cage, it should be washed constantly with laundry soap.
- To eliminate an unpleasant odor, place a freshly cut cherry branch inside the cage.
- During molting, treat the cage with a special product that you can buy at a veterinary pharmacy.
- Whenever possible, put several trays in the apartment. Choose a filler based on cellulose or plant matter. But sawdust for this purpose should not be used.
- When a female gives birth, her cage needs to be cleaned more often. Since, as puppies grow, their smell will change.
As it became clear from this article, it is difficult to unequivocally answer the question of whether ferrets stink. When animals are poorly cared for, they will smell. But when the owner knows what to do, he can eliminate it, and then the animal will not smell.
A bit of anatomy
First of all, the sources of smell should be clarified. In ferrets, they are two types of glands:
- Paraanal This is a paired organ located in the anus and performing a protective function. When the animal is very frightened, the paraanal glands release a caustic secret designed to scare away a potential enemy. In normal situations, the animal does not need to use them.
- Sebaceous. Maybe for many this will come as a surprise, but the sebaceous glands are the main, and often the only, source of smell. They protect the skin of the ferret from the effects of the external environment, but with intensive secretion of the secret from the animal, it stinks.
The smell of a healthy ferret is not stronger than that of any other animal. Otherwise, in the wild, this predator would not be able to hunt efficiently, since it would “notify” in advance of its appearance not only the victim, but also the enemy. If the pet is smelly, it’s not his fault, but the owners who improperly care for their pet.
By the way, urine and feces of the ferret, in comparison with feline, practically do not smell.
Before starting the fight against an unpleasant odor, it is necessary to determine the cause of its appearance.
To understand how to get rid of the smell of a ferret, you need to determine the reasons for the increase in the secretion secretion intensity. There may be several:
- The onset of the mating period. To attract an animal of the opposite sex, the sebaceous glands of the animal begin to produce a special enzyme. Moreover, males stink more strongly during this period. The only thing that can be done in this case is to perform castration or sterilization. A temporary measure is to find a mating partner, but this option is more suitable for breeders.
- Improper nutrition. Not all food from our table is suitable for these animals, and feeds are of poor quality. If you do not provide your pet with a healthy diet, he will get sick. One of the first signs of a malfunction in the metabolism of the ferret will be the smell of fur, strong enough and unpleasant. His urine and feces also begin to stink tangibly.
- Violation of hygiene standards. Any animal, like a person, in contact with objects leaves products of the endocrine glands on them, which accumulate over time. And the fur of the unwashed animal begins to “smell”. So that there is no smell, you need to bathe it regularly and clean the premises. This is especially true of the pet's recreation area and its tray.
- The disease. The function of the sebaceous glands of the ferret depends on the work of its internal organs, mainly the stomach, intestines, adrenal glands. If there is a suspicion of such violations, the animal should be shown to the veterinarian.
- Fear or overexcitation. As mentioned above, in such circumstances, the pet can work out the paraanal glands. The smell will be strong, but unstable. Since this rarely happens under normal conditions of keeping a ferret, experts recommend that you simply put up with it.
Removal of the paraanal glands
Some veterinarians suggest that simultaneously with castration, the pet remove paranal glands. This supposedly forever saves you from the unpleasant smell in the apartment. In fact, such measures are not required at all, since the castrated ferret becomes calmer and ceases to use its natural protective mechanism. In addition, this operation is extremely risky and can provoke the development of serious diseases, for example, damage to the rectum.
Removal of the paraanal glands does not affect the presence or absence of an unpleasant odor from the animal.
Here are cases when this surgical intervention is justified and even necessary:
- frequent inflammation of the anal sacs caused by infection,
- excessive secretion, leading to its involuntary release,
- trauma or swelling.
The removal of the paraanal glands in a healthy ferret often causes the opposite effect. The animal loses its protection, which prompts its body to adapt to the circumstances. The sebaceous glands take over the function of repelling the enemy, and the pet will stink constantly.
Proper nutrition and caring for your pet will help prevent the ferret from smelling.
To nullify the unpleasant odor from a ferret, you must adhere to the following recommendations:
- В рационе животного не должно быть много овощей, фруктов, сладостей и пищи, содержащей синтетические добавки. Если питание зверьку не подходит, это станет заметно по таким признакам, как блеклый мех, жидкий стул с сильным запахом. Чтобы питомец не вонял, давайте ему поменьше морепродуктов.
- The hammock or bag in which your pet sleeps should be washed regularly in hot water using ordinary non-flavored products, and then ironed.
- The ferret should not be bathed more often than once every 2 to 3 months, otherwise its sebaceous glands will begin to work more intensively. Use only special shampoos for washing.
- Parts of the room, chosen by the animal for games, must be cleaned as often as possible.
- Try to eliminate any irritants that can scare the animal.
- Do not abuse aerosol products for unpleasant odors. After surface treatment, wet cleaning should be done.
- Once every 2 to 3 weeks, clean the pet’s ears with a special swab. If he stinks badly, consult your veterinarian.
- If the animal spends a lot of time in the cage, you need to wash it regularly. To do this, it is recommended to use laundry soap. To dispel the accumulated smell, fit a freshly cut branch of cherry inside. When the ferret begins to molt, treat the cage with a specially designed product (sold at a veterinary pharmacy).
- If possible, install two trays in the apartment. The filler for them should be based on cellulose or plant components. Sawdust is not the best option for ferrets.
- If the female brought the offspring, her house will have to be cleaned more often. After all, as the kids grow, their smell will change.
Do ferrets stink
All animals have an individual smell, the intensity of which largely depends on the quality of the content of the pet. Ferret is no exception. But the statement that the animal stinks unbearably strongly is too exaggerated. In addition, this feature can be eliminated or minimized.
The ferret smells with two types of glands:
- Paraanal. They are a paired organ located in the anus. In extreme conditions, with the help of these glands, the animal releases a caustic secret. In natural nature, the smell serves to protect against other predators and attract a sexual partner during mating games. Domestic ferrets rarely use paraanal glands - only with strong excitement and fear. The smell is repulsive and sharp, but not persistent, it quickly disappears and leaves no residue.
- Sebaceous. A special secret is developed that protects the skin of the ferret from adverse environmental influences. With intense secretion, the smell intensifies. Sebaceous glands are usually the main source of unpleasant odor.
If the animal is healthy, then it smells no worse than other animals. When the ferret starts to stink badly, it signals an improper care.
To neutralize an unpleasant odor, it is necessary to identify and eliminate the reason why the ferret stinks. There may be several:
- The onset of the mating season. Under the influence of hormones, the secretion of the sebaceous glands increases. When the male is chased, he emits a stronger smell than the females. It is necessary to find the animal of a sexual partner for mating or to perform castration (sterilization).
- An unbalanced diet. The health status of animals depends on whether ferrets eat properly. They are predators, and they need adequate nutrition. Not all food from a person’s table is suitable for a pet. With metabolic disorders, the animals smell strongly. An unbalanced diet also causes an unpleasant smell of excrement.
- Non-compliance with hygiene standards. If you do not do regular cleaning in the cage where the ferret lives, the pet's fur will start to stink. For the same reason, water procedures should not be neglected.
- Diseases If the internal organs, for example, the adrenal glands and the gastrointestinal tract, are not working properly, the sebaceous glands more actively secrete a secret. At the slightest suspicion of a disease, you should immediately contact your veterinarian to determine if there is a serious threat to the life of the pet.
- Isolation of paraanal glands. Overexcited during an active game or with a sudden fright, the ferret uses paraanal glands. Nothing can be fixed here; you have to come to terms. Fortunately, at home with normal content of the animal, this is rare.
How to prevent bad smell
When the male is chasing, his aggressiveness increases, he marks the territory and smells unpleasant. In females, similar signs are observed, but they are less pronounced.
To prevent the ferret from stinking, experts recommend a castration or sterilization procedure. These are simple veterinary operations that are safe for animals. In just a week, the animal will recover. After this, the ferret does not stink or mark the territory.
Sometimes the veterinarian suggests performing an additional operation - to remove the paraanal glands. Unnecessarily, this should not be done, as they are close to important internal organs. An unsuccessful procedure can harm the animal. When removed from a healthy ferret, the opposite effect can be achieved. The animal is deprived of the ability to scare away potential enemies with the help of a paraanal secret. The protective function will be carried out by the sebaceous glands. As a result, the ferret will constantly smell bad.
Exceptions are cases where surgical intervention is indispensable. The operation is advisable if the veterinarian has diagnosed inflammation, tumors or other pathologies of the paraanal glands caused by infections.
How to get rid of the smell of a ferret in an apartment
Castration of the animal will not allow to finally neutralize the smell, but will help to significantly reduce its intensity. Some ferret owners complain of an unpleasant odor in the room, even after surgery with a pet.
By following the simple rules, you can completely get rid of the smell of the ferret in the apartment:
- Places in the room that the animal has chosen for games and fun should be cleaned as often as possible.
- Wash the cell regularly with laundry soap.
- During molting, disinfect the pet's housing with a special tool purchased at a veterinary pharmacy.
- Remove irritants that can cause fear in an animal.
- Wash the ferret litter as often as possible using neutral detergents without pungent odors.
- Owners of females who brought offspring will have to wash the cage more often. As they grow, the smell of puppies changes and sometimes intensifies.
If you follow these simple rules, the smell of a pet will not cause discomfort.
Tips & Tricks
The ferret is an active, cheerful animal. In order for the ferret to feel in good shape and give positive emotions, experienced breeders are advised to adhere to several recommendations:
- Take care of the proper nutrition of the animal. The optimal menu contains a minimum of plant foods, sweets and feed with artificial additives. Limit seafood consumption. If the food does not fit the pet, a signal will be a dull fur. The next sign of malnutrition or malnutrition is the state of feces. With indigestion, feces produce an unpleasant odor.
- Install a couple of trays in the room. The filler is preferably used from plant or cellulosic components. Ferrets in the excitement of the game may not have time to reach the cell where there is a permanent tray. Salvation will be the "pots" placed in the room.
- A freshly cut cherry branch helps in eliminating unpleasant odors.
- A couple of times a month, a special swab is removed from the ears of the pet accumulated discharge.
- It is necessary to bathe a ferret no more than 2 times a month, using a special shampoo. More frequent water procedures provoke enhanced functioning of the sebaceous glands.
- Do not abuse aerosol products to eliminate odors.
Undoubtedly, ferrets, like any domestic or wild animal, have their own smell - not always pleasant. But in a caring owner, the pet is healthy and well-groomed, therefore it emits an odorous secret very rarely. In this case, loving owners forgive playful and cute animals for spoiled air.