Biology textbooks claim that a person needs 7-8 hours to sleep. But in the life of every modern citizen there are days, or even whole weeks or months, when you have to sleep 4-5 hours a day. There are legends about yogis who supposedly never sleep at all, and Napoleon believed that sleep is just a bad habit.
Of course, the great commander could not confirm his words in practice, and we, too, are unlikely to succeed in repeating the feat of the Indian yogis. But still, is it possible for us mere mortals to reduce the time needed for sleep?
It turns out - yes! So, there are seven main points necessary in order to not only significantly reduce your need for sleep, but also to make it deeper and more useful:
The ability to relax is not such a trifle as it might seem at first glance. Many qualities depend on this skill, such as goodwill, optimism, stress tolerance, and susceptibility. In the east, relaxation is generally considered a sign of holiness, and yoga is a system of exercises to achieve total relaxation, in which a person receives secret knowledge. But we will not go into mysticism, but just say that in this case it is important for us to learn how to relax in order to help the body free itself from mental debris and muscle clamps. Otherwise, the dream will not be as deep and useful as the result - it will need more.
2. The setting
The main role here is played by the microclimate: excessive heat and cold can significantly increase your need for sleep. And even if you have time for this, the well-being and mood with which you will rise are definitely not worth it. In addition, it would be very useful if you developed the habit of ventilating the room before going to bed, even if it seems to you that “it will do so”. A person has a tendency to get used to a lot, and you may simply not notice that the air in the room has become stale.
A very important point! No food 5 hours before bedtime! If you can’t refuse dinner, then eat stewed vegetables at around 16:00 and warm milk with honey, fennel and nutmeg after 18:00 or just before bedtime. Fennel and nutmeg are spices that will not only help you relax and fall asleep quickly, but will also deepen your sleep. And milk at night is a very good remedy for those who suffer from the habit of abusing dinner. In addition, if you drink it at night every day - it nourishes the nervous system, and as a result - improves memory, the ability to learn, and increases resistance to stress.
Conditions necessary for a person to sleep well
To get enough sleep, you have to try. The well-known requirement of “throwing all thoughts out of one’s head” does not work if a person had a busy day, forcing himself to think about nothing will fail. But there is an opportunity to provide yourself with a good night's rest, if you follow the rules:
- Accustom yourself to the regime: go to bed and get up at the same time, even on weekends.
- Do not drink coffee after 18.00. Even if you really need to cheer up for evening activities, it is better to get along with a cup of green tea with ginger or lemon - it tones out no worse, and does not hurt night rest.
- Turn off the TV, computer, other gadgets at least 30-40 minutes before you go to bed.
- Eat tightly 3-4 hours before bedtime. Resting on an empty stomach is wrong. All food restrictions are due to a slowdown in the digestion process. That is, if you eat later, then the food will not be processed, which will lead to its stagnation in the stomach - this is unpleasant. If dinner was very light, you can drink a cup of milk, preferably warm, an hour before bedtime. But do not eat fatty, bread and other heavy foods!
- Turn off the lights and sound devices. Darkness and silence is what our brains require. Accustomed to falling asleep under the murmur of a TV, audiobooks, music, a person provides himself with disturbances in the deep phases of sleep, hence the constant lack of sleep.
- Comfortable mattress, pillow - the necessary conditions for a good rest.
And, of course, do not forget to ventilate the room before going to bed.
Before learning how to properly and fully sleep, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with a variety of techniques.
The most effective of them include:
- Siesta. This technique allows you to eliminate lack of sleep. It is recommended to relax in the daytime for half an hour. You need to wake up after this time. With the help of such a rest, it is possible to reduce the main rest by several hours. When using the technique, a person does not suffer from lack of sleep and wakes up several hours earlier. During its use, it is recommended to strictly observe the rest time during the day. If its duration exceeds 30 minutes, this will lead to fatigue.
- Superhuman. It is the most complex technique. Sleep should last no more than 15 minutes. A person should rest this way every 6 hours. This is a special forces vacation characterized by a high level of productivity. Using this technique, you can completely replace a night's rest. At the same time, a person gets enough sleep. Thanks to this method, a person has a lot of free time, which allows him to solve his affairs. Adhering to the methodology by people who work in a standard schedule is an impossible task.
When using it, it is strictly forbidden to stray from the schedule, since a person may not get an effective result.
Special techniques give a person the opportunity to save time in a night's sleep. To achieve the best effect, it is recommended to choose the right technique.
Features of the use of short sleep
If there is enough time to relax, a person does not have chronic diseases, following the rules, you can sleep well. And what to do when there are sorely lacking hours for sleep? Switch to short sleep mode. What are the features:
- the rest time is short, but the periods are frequent,
- the body gets a full sleep,
- working time is used as efficiently as possible,
- brain activity, memory improves.
If you learn to sleep briefly, but deeply, you can cope with any amount of work, without overworking your body.
Reasons to switch to short sleep mode
A person may need a short sleep technique in a variety of situations. And the inability to get enough sleep at night does not play the last role. In which cases, you should try methods of short-term recovery of strength:
- at birth, when there is no way to sleep normally at night,
- in cases of performing a large amount of work,
- during the session to students,
- with a busy schedule of activities,
- in the event of an emergency (to service workers).
A technique that helps to quickly sleep in a short time, day or night, is practiced when caring for a seriously ill patient or relative. It is especially important to have strength with the established diet, course medication. Also, the technique helps athletes before preparing for competitions - you can do a lot in a limited period of time.
The benefits of such a holiday
Starting to practice the method of short sleep, it should be understood that you will have to learn to fall asleep at a strictly defined time and adhere to a regimen of at least 5 days. The duration of the general course depends on the well-being of the patient. But, getting used to get enough sleep quickly and efficiently, it is difficult to abandon the advantages of such a vacation:
- The day literally "stretches" to infinity, a lot of free time appears.
- Performance, performance is increased several times.
- Priorities are set: when doing unimportant, unnecessary things, it tends to sleep, so a person gives his time to what is really necessary.
- The count of time will go not for days - for hours, in which more and more things fit.
Attention! Short sleep has many advantages, but people with mental disorders and certain diseases are forbidden to use the technique.
What time is better to sleep to get enough sleep
The optimal period of sleep will also have to be determined independently. As a rule, your body is already accustomed to any one schedule. Therefore, maximum drowsiness is usually manifested at a certain time. For example, if you go to bed regularly at 23:00 for 1-2 weeks, our biorhythms will adapt to this mode and you will want to sleep at the appointed time.
How to get enough sleep in a short time
Get enough sleep in a short time, for example, in 2-3 hours, while feeling fine, most likely, will not work. However, the famous scientist Nicola Tesla, according to him, succeeded. Nevertheless, an ordinary person 2-3 hours of sleep will not be enough to sleep well. The recommended minimum for more or less normal health - 5 hours of sleep per day. However, if you sleep in this mode all the time, over time you will accumulate fatigue, which will necessarily affect working capacity. Therefore, it is recommended to switch to a short sleep for a maximum of 5-7 days.
If you still decide that you need to get enough sleep in a short time, you need to sleep a certain number of hours. Our whole dream consists of cycles, which last an average of 1.5 hours. Moreover, the number of such cycles in an 8-hour sleep is usually 4-5.
During each cycle, sleep has a certain depth. As a rule, at the beginning and at the end of the cycle, superficial sleep is noted. At the same time, in the middle of the cycle - the dream is as deep as possible. Thus, if you wake up during a period of superficial sleep, you can sleep well even in 3-4 hours.
Ok, but how to calculate the phase of superficial or REM sleep? The first option: you need to sleep so many hours so that it is multiple of 1.5 hours. In other words, you need to sleep 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5 or 9 hours. In our case, in order to get enough sleep in a short time, it is advisable to sleep at least 4.5 hours.
Another option for determining the phase of REM sleep involves sleeping with special bracelettracking the movement of your body in bed. The bracelet sensor detects all body turns and builds a sleep schedule based on these data, which can then be viewed on your smartphone. In addition, many sleep trackers can be configured to wake you up during REM sleep. With the help of such devices, you can get a good night's sleep without too much trouble in a fairly short period of time.
How much sleep do you need to sleep
The frantic pace of life does not allow many people to relax, as it should. Lack of sleep causes discomfort, mood decline, dissatisfaction with the environment. Various irritants, noise, work until late, exorbitant physical and mental stress negatively affect the quality of night rest.
Doctors do not set specific time limits for nightly relaxation. The duration is affected by:
- personal need for periods of wakefulness and sleep,
- ambient atmosphere
- degree of mental and physical fatigue.
Traditional medicine suggests that the optimal time for a night's rest fits into the interval of 7-10 hours. It is believed that the human body will learn to get enough sleep if you spend at least 7 hours daily to relax.
How to sleep in a short time at night
Most often, two variants of polyphase rest are practiced:
- Sleep 20 minutes every 4 hours. For this, it is important to set an alarm.
- You can sleep four times for 30 minutes (but not for 1 hour, because the body will enter the phase of slow sleep). After the first quick phase, you need to set the alarm for 30 minutes three more times. In total, a person sleeps 4 times for half an hour, followed by a 6-hour wakeful period.
Such experiments can not be practiced constantly, only if necessary, no more than 3 days. Chronic lack of sleep is fraught with the occurrence of a stroke or heart attack, as well as metabolic disorders.
The meaning of polyphase sleep techniques is that the usual 8-hour rest is divided into 2-6 parts. As a result of this, its duration decreases, sometimes very significantly, but sleep productivity improves, a person feels energetic and efficient.
The reduction in rest occurs due to the decrease in the duration of slow sleep, since the recovery of the body occurs mainly during the fast phase. In toga, a person is able to get enough sleep in just two hours without harm to health.
You can use any of the options for polyphase relaxation:
- 6 * 20 minutes every 4 hours - only 2 hours
- 4 * 30 minutes after 6 hours - a total of 2 hours
- One 1.5-3-hour night rest and 3 daytime for 20 minutes - only 2.5-4 hours.
- One 2-hour night rest and 1 day duration of 20 minutes - only 2 hours 20 minutes.
- One 5-hour night rest and 1 hour and a half daytime - only 6.5 hours.
The body itself will tell you which mode is most comfortable to function in.
Gradual decrease in sleep
In addition to polyphase sleep, there is a simple method to get enough sleep in a short period of time. To do this, it is recommended to reduce daily night rest by 20 minutes. In total, you can reduce its duration by 4 hours (no longer desirable). If you do not force, but limit sleep moderately, the body gradually adapts, it does not feel much discomfort during a 4-5 hour night's rest.
Researching Your Own Cycles
In order to choose the optimal mode of rest and wakefulness, you can conduct a small study of individual biorhythms. Within 24 hours, you need to hold out and not go to bed, while observing your condition. Record the results in a notebook. It is important to note the time when the body suffered from attacks of drowsiness, and the moments at which performance was at its best. Then you need to sleep and evaluate the results of the study.
Most people note morning drowsiness from 4 to 9 hours and a daytime drop in performance at 12-14 hours.
In this case, a regimen is suitable in which several hours will be devoted to rest from 22 to 4-6 in the morning and 30 minutes at lunchtime.
This is a special “smart” alarm clock that wakes up its owner exactly at the time when the awakening will be most comfortable - at the end of the BDG phase. There are many modifications of such alarms (for example, aXbo, Sleeptracker), but the principle of work is common for everyone - special sensors located in the bracelet worn over the arm at night record all movements of a person in a dream. Thus, the phases of sleep and their duration are determined.
The alarm time is set, after which you can not get up, for example, 7.00. In the range of 30 minutes, that is, starting at 6.30, Smart alarm will choose the best time to wake up and wake up with a pleasant melody, for example, in 6.54, when your BDG phase will be close to completion.
Some models, in addition to the “wake up” function, have a useful function that helps soft and comfortable getting into sleep - thanks to a set of special melodies and sounds that bring the brain to a state of rest.
Prices for a miracle device start from $ 150, but this pays off due to good health and excellent performance.
There are special programs for the iPhone, iPad and Android OS that allow iPhones and smartphones to work with “smart” alarms. True, for this they need to be put to bed at night so that all the noises and sounds are recorded. Based on their analysis, the phases of sleep and the optimal time for waking are calculated.
When choosing a technique, it is important to remember:
- Sleeping until midnight is the most productive. According to doctors, one hour of rest from 22 to 24 hours replaces 2 hours after midnight.
- With a lack of sleep, a person becomes addicted to coffee. But the more it absorbs caffeine, the more the body suffers from lack of sleep and is already less responsive to this drink.
- It is important not to drink alcohol and nicotine before a night's rest. Under the influence of these substances, a person will quickly calm down and fall asleep, but his sleep will be restless and intermittent.
- If you need to go to bed early, then you need to prepare for this in advance. Take a bath of moderate temperature, set the rise time on the alarm clock, dim the light. These manipulations will help to tune in to rest.
- Before going to bed, you can drink a glass of warm milk. It contains tryptophan, which helps to fall asleep quickly.
It is undesirable to greatly shorten the total duration of rest. REM sleep well restores working ability and mood, but a slow phase is necessary for the regeneration of the body and maintain physical well-being.
Good sleep rules
To make the dream pleasant, long and beneficial, you need to follow a number of simple recommendations, then you will be able to sleep in 8 hours. Thanks to them, you will always get up in the morning with a good mood and full of strength for a long working day.
- Food at night. The statement as old as the world that at night it is impossible to eat up actually and to this day. It's not just about the extra calories: the stomach, overloaded with food, begins to actively digest it, temporarily weakening other body functions, including the brain, which is reluctant to go to sleep. Кроме этого, работающая ночью пищеварительная система будет нарушать естественные циклы смены быстрых и медленных фаз сновидений. Постарайтесь не употреблять пищу хотя бы за 3-4 часа до ночного отдыха,
- Daytime sleep. 1,5 часа хорошего дневного сна компенсируют 1-2 полных фазовых цикла ночного.At the end of the day, a person will feel much better. Daytime sleep is not just a lot of children, in Western countries the midday “siesta” is the norm of life,
- Fresh air. Before going to bed, it is imperative to ventilate all rooms, and especially the bedroom. At the same time, it is advisable not to take active actions - so, replacing a long walk can invigorate a person, and he will fall asleep much more slowly. As a supplement, take a warm shower - it will further relax the body,
- Convenient bed. The main factor in the effectiveness and usefulness of sleep is the correct bed. The bed should be with an orthopedic mattress and appropriate pillows, bedding only natural, fresh and clean. A third of life goes to bed - give it your maximum attention,
- Correct circadian rhythms. Try to fall asleep before midnight, optimally by 21-22 hours - it is during this period that sleep has the maximum recovery effect.
Some general important tips
Whatever sleep system you practice, remember:
The best time to fall asleep is from 22.00 to 23.00. An hour of sleep before midnight is equivalent to two hours after it. The body as a whole and the central nervous system rest and recover much more precisely at this time.
Do not overload at night. Otherwise, your brain will direct the work of the intestines, instead of analyzing and systematizing the information received per day.
The room should be cool and warm in bed. A stationary body without a warm blanket can freeze, and this is an occasion for him to wake up at the wrong time.
Watching movies and TV shows, computer games before going to bed overexcite the nervous system and make it difficult to fall asleep. It is better to read a book or listen to calm music.
Do not take a shower at night, especially in contrast, it is better to leave it in the morning. It is also not necessary to perform some physical exercises before going to bed. Unless special yoga asanas - to those who practice them.
"Pitfalls" of short sleep
Like any other, the method of reducing the period of rest, also has its own characteristics. For example, violation of the family regime. Either everyone has to learn to sleep briefly and often, or you need a separate room.
The methods are not indicated for patients with breathing problems, cardiovascular system, nervous, psychological pathologies, after strokes, and a number of other chronic diseases. Therefore, before taking up the technique, you should consult a doctor. The main "pitfall" is the obligation to maintain a healthy lifestyle. All bad habits instantly “respond” to diseases.
It is important to know! If the use of the technique of short sleep is caused by an urgent need (illness of relatives, newborn, session), it is allowed to maintain the scheme for no longer than a day. Then you need to restore the regime and sleep at least 1-2 nights.
A good dream is the dream of many people. To restore strength, a special course in breathing, yoga, meditation will help. Of course, it’s nice to avoid stress, not to exert yourself physically.
And remember: if the body could not get used to the sleep-wakefulness regime, you can’t break yourself. The reason for not getting enough sleep can lie much deeper and indicate serious health problems.
Harm of lack of sleep
Insomnia is equally harmful to women, men and children. Violation leads to serious consequences.
With chronic lack of sleep occurs:
With a lack of sleep, the level of intellectual abilities decreases, creativity decreases. However, such complications do not belong to the category of irreversible phenomena. A full-fledged rest restores health, returns to work capacity.
It is much worse when people regularly ignore sleep hygiene, do not want to build the daily regimen correctly, and spend the minimum amount of time for a night's rest. They live for years with disturbed biorhythms. Such a practice leads to the development of chronic insomnia, the occurrence of serious pathologies against the background of lack of sleep.
The quality of rest improves if a peaceful atmosphere is created in the house, basic prevention is observed. In critical situations, the method of short sleep and midday rest help to replenish strength.
How to get enough sleep and fall asleep quickly with exercise
Exercise a few hours before bedtime will help you fall asleep faster. In addition, active muscle work and pleasant tiredness in the evening make the dream deeper. As a physical activity, it is recommended to choose jogging or gym. Both classes use the maximum amount of muscle. This means that pleasant tiredness and sleep after running or visiting the gym will come faster.
If you don’t have any strength for a run or a gym in the evening, you can simply take a walk. Walking nerves calm, so for a good sleep it is useful to walk along the street for 30-60 minutes. You can spend more time walking, especially if you have the strength and time.
Those who do not want to leave home, but want to get enough sleep, can be advised by simple exercises that will help them fall asleep. The same squats, pushups and lifting the torso on the press help a person get tired and restore sound sleep.
An important point: all sports must be completed 2, or better 3 hours before bedtime. After intense training, the body is in a state of excitement for some time. Therefore, going to bed immediately after completing all the exercises is not recommended, as it will be more difficult to fall asleep. Although some, after training, sleep as "killed" and do not wonder how to get enough sleep.
Best way to sleep
Is there an easy way to get enough sleep? There is no single answer to this question. For one person, for a good sleep, it is enough to meditate before going to bed, another needs physical exercises, and the third is difficult to close your eyes without a sleeping pill. To understand which method is right for you, you need to try everything.
It is worthwhile to warn you against taking sleeping pills, which are taken without the consent of a specialist. Similar remedies can causepsychological dependence and have a lot of side effects. Therefore, it is better not to sit on them. You can take them only after agreement with the doctor.
Tips for those who are tormented by the question - how to get enough sleep
- Do not worry about bad sleep. Going to bed with the thought that you will not fall asleep, you doom yourself to a bad dream. To get rid of these thoughts, doctors recommend that you do not constantly look at the clock, reminiscent of the current time and the inability to fall asleep.
- Get up if you haven’t fallen asleep within 30 minutes. There’s no reason to lie just like that if you don’t sleep at all. 30 minutes have passed from the moment you go to bed - get out of bed and go about your business. Moreover, it is advisable to do something less energy-consuming. For example, read a book, take things apart, or have some tea. Recall that all this should be done outside of your bed. By the way, it takes only 30 minutes to do business, then go back to bed and try to sleep. If falling into a dream again did not work, we repeat the scheme.
- Create all the conditions for sleep. You need to sleep in a dark and cool room, where excess noise does not hurt. To do this, close the curtains tightly, ventilate the room before going to bed and ask your family not to interfere with your sleep.
- Sleep in a comfortable bed. The mattress, pillow and blanket play an important role in achieving good sleep. The mattress and pillow should preferably be orthopedic. Moreover, they should be selected taking into account physiological characteristics. The blanket should not resemble a concrete slab, but should be light and warm.
- Drink less coffee and black tea during the day. Excess caffeine in coffee and black tea will provide trouble sleeping. Therefore, it is better to replace caffeinated drinks with mineral water that is healthy. If you absolutely cannot without coffee or tea, then drink them in the morning, not more than 3 cups per day.
- Be in the light. Light suppresses the production of melatonin during the day, which normalizes the biological rhythms of sleep and wakefulness.
We hope that the recommendations described in this article will help you answer the question of how to get enough sleep. Good night!
Video on how to get enough sleep in a short time:
4. Lie down early
Ideally at 22:00. "The hour of sleep before 00:00 is two hours of sleep after”, Claimed Paul Bragg, and not only him! Three thousand years BC, the wise Indians wrote in their Vedas almost the same thing.
A warm shower before bedtime is not only a hygienic necessity, but also an additional means of relaxation. In the morning - a contrast or cold shower, and in the evening - warm. The main thing - do not confuse!
7. Sleep alone
Even if you are madly in love with your soul mate, it is still better to sleep alone. Sex is sex, but for sleep it is better to have another place where peace and silence always reign. I won’t talk about sleeping with a cat or dog - those who do this can’t imagine how harmful this is.
Have good dreams and good mood in the morning!